- Comfort – 10/10
- Stability – 9/10
- Traction – 9/10
- Durability – 9/10
If you are backpacking on an unfamiliar path, the Quest 4D from Salomon is our best recommendation. It provides adequate support and cushioning for your feet, dries quickly when exposed to water, and pushes through the rocks that get in your way.
With a little care (especially around the seams) this will easily hold up for multiple hikes and eat through all kinds of trails. Here’s what makes it our top pick.
WHAT WE LIKED
- This bad boy is comfortable from the moment you step into it. (Minimal break-in period)
- The combination of nylon mesh and GORE-TEX lining makes the upper super breathable and waterproof. (Keeps your feet dry and stink-free)
- Thanks to 4.5-inch the forefoot and high ankle collars, the quest 4D is the most stable boot you can buy
- The ContraGrip outsole crushes the rocks on the trail and gives you solid grip over a muddier trail. (You don’t have to worry about slipping)
WHAT WE DISLIKED
- It weighs close to 3 lbs. For size 11 (US). This makes it a little heavy, especially for beginners. (But thanks to its agile design, you can move through the trail quickly)
- The seams which connect the outsole to the midsole are a bit flimsy
When you’re on unfamiliar terrain, your best bet is to get an animal. Salomon Quest 4D 2 is a “complete animal” that eats its way through and offers you unmatched comfort and support.